Robin's Ride For Women, Overcoming the Fear of Life and Helmet Hair

Please Help.Pledge now. Even $1 counts for New Orleans Area Habitat for Humanity's Women Build Program and Grounds for Health. I rode my motorcycle alone across 44 states and parts of Canada through 20,226 incredible miles in 4-months 4-days. My site: www.robinsrideforwomen.com This trip is about following your dreams. SEE A VIDEO ABOUT MY RIDE on www.womenridersnow.com streaming video: http://www.womenridersnow.com//PublicFiles/DepartmentViewer.asp?DepartmentID=44

Wednesday, June 28, 2006

New Orleans

Hi All,

I'm still here in New Orleans. I just talked to Song - the very talented web designer - and he is going to add a page to my site for images. I have lots from driving around town and seeing what is happening. We don't see much on the news, but here it's on all the time. People are still trying to figure out what to do - rebuild - tear down - come back - sell... Read the note I put on my home page - I hope that makes sense and helps the effort.

Really - it only takes one dollar from lots and lots of people to make that dollar a powerful tool. One person sending New Orleans a dollar can't do much, but if a million people send a dollar to me to give to them, houses can be built and lives can be saved here and through Grounds for Health. Everyone can spare a dollar - well maybe not everyone - but lots!

The ABATE chapter here in New Orleans has totally taken care of me! I haven't had to do anything - they are 3 steps ahead of me at all times. (Thanks Kim – for contacting them for me) They got my room comped at the Sheraton Hotel in New Orleans, they've fed me (some pretty great New Orleans food!), they've taken me around to see the devastation, (even their own homes), took me to Harley Davidson of New Orleans to get my bike worked on (and HD of N.O. didn't make me pay for anything!!!). It's just incredible! Thank you Grant, Emilie, Poet... All who came out and rode in with me - all who had dinner with me - and everyone! I will get a proper list and thank all of you (of course with Emilie's help – you have gone above and beyond in helping me!).

I walked through Emilie’s house and it is gutted. The water line is about 6’ up and it was higher than that for a while. Upstairs there are still piles of things she hasn’t been able to get out. People have been living there while it’s empty and hopefully will not do any more damage. All she can do is drive by and check it every now and then. The things left behind are heirlooms - but she is just so happy to have her family that she is willing to forfeit the “things”. Too many stories! Too much to be done!

I'll work on the picture thing again this afternoon. Catching up again :0)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home